Meet Colby Grant: Staff Senator and Campus Operations Coordinator
Role: To coordinate and manage all daily operations of the Science and Technology Campus (SciTech) and locations that the SciTech campus supports. This includes strategic plan development, small and large project management, and coordination of necessary support services to serve students, faculty, staff and the local Manassas and Prince William County community.
Mason journey: I started my undergraduate work at Mason in the fall of 2001 and in 2004 became a student wage employee with Athletics and Recreation. In 2005, I graduated with a B.S. in Sport Management and I became classified staff shortly after in 2006 with Mason Recreation as Coordinator of Intramural Sports. I also served as Coordinator of Outdoor Venues and eventually as Operations Manager of the Aquatic and Fitness Center and Skyline Fitness Center before leaving for the SciTech Campus in July of 2016.
Mason family: My sister, Nikki, was the first to attend Mason and graduated in 2002. I graduated in 2005 and my wife, Megan, graduated in 2006. My wife also works at the SciTech Campus for the National Center for Biodefense and Infectious Diseases within the College of Science.
Best thing about working at Mason: Without a doubt it’s the people who work here. I have formed countless relationships, many of which developed into friendships outside of work. While I miss many of the folks I worked with at Fairfax, the people at SciTech make it a warm and inviting place that you can’t help but fall in love with.
Why serve on Staff Senate: Staff at Mason serve a huge role in what we do and are often overlooked and underappreciated. I wanted to be a voice for the staff at Mason, particularly those at SciTech. Being part of the senate is an amazing opportunity, not only to serve the university, but to develop professionally and meet great people from across campus, people who share a sense of responsibility for their community.
At the end of the day: I truly love working at Mason and the opportunity I have had to serve as a Staff Senator, representing the amazing staff that contribute so much to our mission. Mason means a lot to me and my family and I would not be the person I am today without my experiences and relationships here.
Visit SciTech: Some members of the Mason community are not fully aware of the offerings and facilities at SciTech, including arts and recreation facilities. The campus, located about four miles off I-66, celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2017. Hop a shuttle bus from the Fairfax Campus and come out and see us.
Here are my Top 10 things to know about the Science and Technology Campus (in no particular order):
- Campus: 134 acres, eight buildings (800,000+ sq. ft.) and one building in design. Also includes over 25,000 sq. ft. of lease space in neighboring Innovation Park as well as the Potomac Science Center in Woodbridge, VA
- Over 600 faculty/staff
- Over 4,500 students (both undergraduate and graduate), including 150 on-campus graduate student residents living in Beacon Hall
- Schools/colleges represented: College of Education and Human Development, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Science, College of Visual and Performing Arts, Volgenau School of Engineering
- Hylton Performing Arts Center
- Freedom Aquatic and Fitness Center
- The EDGE (Mason Recreation’s Team Development and Experiential Learning program)
- Galileo’s Science Cafe Spring 2020 Series
- Vogel Art Collection
- Home of the Governor’s School at Innovation Park
Posted: March 4, 2020