Parking and Transportation Updates
Save the Date: Car-Free Day, September 21–23
With the construction projects on I-66 and a host of commuting challenges on the roads every day, it may be time to think about sharing your ride with others or even going car-free. Car-Free Day is a great time to try something new and establish another way to get to work! Take the pledge at carfreemetrodc.org.
Some additional resources for faculty/staff:
Mason Programs: Full listing at transportation.gmu.edu; including:
- Commuter Choice – eligible employees can receive up to $265/month for using public transportation or vanpool to get to work
- Zimride – to assist in finding people with whom to commute (available to faculty, staff, and students)
- Bike Commuter Choice – three tiers of financial support based on how much you ride
- Guaranteed Ride Home Program – an emergency ride home four times per year at no cost for those who use car/vanpool, mass transit, bike, or walk at least two times per week
- Pool Party (Car/Vanpool): Sept. 19 at noon in the Hub Corner Pocket. Help the environment, save money, and reduce your commuting stress all by choosing not to drive alone to Mason. Additional information available on the website. Free pizza and games! Open to faculty, staff and students.
Car Free Day with the City of Manassas:
- Sept. 21 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Additional information available here.
- Includes a community bike ride from Colgan Hall at the SciTech Campus to the Manassas Farmer’s Market. Open to all.
I-66 Commuter Incentives: Click on Outside the Beltway and then Commuter Options
Questions? Contact Parking and Transportation at email@example.com.
Fall Biking-Related Opportunities at Mason
Parking and Transportation has teamed up with the Office of Sustainability, Human Resources and Payroll, and the Fairfax Alliance on Better Bicycling (FABB) on some biking-related opportunities this fall for faculty, staff, and students including:
- Learn to Ride Classes with the Fairfax Alliance on Better Bicycling (FABB): Saturday,Sept. 14, or Sept. 28 from 10 a.m. to noon, $10
- Abandoned “As Is” Bike Sale, Friday, Sept. 20, from 2 to 5 p.m., in the Visitor Section (first level) of the Shenandoah Parking Garage. Approximately 60 bikes need some TLC, but see if there is one for you. Prices start at $10.
- Bike Commuting 101 with Rick Holt of Human Resources and Payroll and a American League of Bicyclist’s Certified Instructor: Thursday, Oct. 10, from noon to 1 p.m. Free.
- Bike Skills Building Class with FABB: Saturday, Oct. 12, from 10 a.m. to noon, $10.
- Social Ride with FABB from Mason to Burke Lake Park and back, Saturday, Oct. 26, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., $10.
All the Time:
- Patriot Bike Check Out Program: Check out a bike from the RAC or the Aquatic Center (AFC) at no cost, Monday–Thursday, for a one-day check out by showing a valid Mason ID. Check it out on Friday or Saturday and have it until Sunday night. Return to either location.
For more information, including registration for some events, visit bike.gmu.edu.
Posted: September 9, 2019