The August Staff Senate newsletter is out!
If you weren’t able to attend the staff appreciation coffee klatches, it’s not too late for one last opportunity at a great raffle prize: tickets to the Hylton Center for the Arts.
We hope you enjoyed the staff appreciation coffee klatches last month. With visits from K9 Officer Lucy and the green and fuzzy Gunston, to opportunities to win great raffle prizes and a healthy breakfast, our aim was to reach as many Mason staff as possible.
Does your supervisor top the charts on best ever boss? Nominate your supervisor for the 2014 Outstanding Supervisor Award. The Outstanding Supervisor Award, sponsored by the Mason Staff Senate, is selected based on her or his ability to:
- Promote collegiality in the department,
- Be receptive to employee ideas and engage them in the department and/or university goals,
- Promote and model a positive work-life balance,
- Acknowledge exemplary performance,
- Be fair in acknowledging exemplary performance,
- Encourage professional growth of classified or non-student wage employees,
- Support the work of classified and non-student wage earners,
- Support innovation in the department, and
- Model leadership skills.
- A supervisor may be of any employment category (e.g., faculty, administrative, professional, classified, etc.) but he or she must supervise classified and/or non-student wage earners.
- Supervisor must employed at Mason at time of nomination.
- Nominators must report directly to the nominated supervisor.
- Nominations must be submitted by classified or non-student wage earners.
- There may be more than one nominator on each nomination form.
- Only three nomination forms will be accepted for each nominee. The first three nomination forms received will be reviewed by the committee. Additional nominations will be discarded.
- All identifying information is redacted before reviewed by the selection committee.
- Nominations received after the due date will not be considered.
- Forms must be submitted electronically as a Word document (not PDF) with the nominee’s name in the file name.
- Nominations forms are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nominations will be accepted between Tuesday, August 1 and Sunday, August 31, 2014.
The winner will be officially recognized during the Outstanding Achievement Award ceremony Tuesday, November 4th at 2:30 p.m. in the Global Center Ballroom (formerly the Mason Inn) on the Fairfax campus.
Questions may be directed to Kathrin Breitt Brown, Staff Senate at 3.4141 or email@example.com.
Please welcome these stellar Mason employees to the Staff Senate!
Wajahat Ahmed, Human Resources and Payroll
Jocelyn Hanly, Admissions
Amanda Kennedy, FAST, Fiscal Services
Francina Osoria, Division of Special Education & disAbilities Research/CEHD
Amanda Shoemaker, Student Centers
Alex Walsh, English
Lauren Clark, Arlington Information
Prince William Campus
Emily Robinson, Hylton Center for Performing Arts, College of Visual & Performing Arts
Joe Hinrichs, Environmental Health and Safety
Cloud Spurlock, INTO Mason
Megan Kirk, Human Resources and Payroll
Marit Majeske, Hylton Center for Performing Arts
Stephanie Zeher, College of Education and Human Development
Continuing gratitude to these dedicated senators:
Andrew Addison, Events Management, Arlington
Lisa Bair, Academic Advising & Transfer Center, Fairfax
Susan Brionez, Volgenau School of Engineering, Fairfax
Andrew Bunting, Admissions, Fairfax
Rubi Chavez, University Police Fairfax
Amanda Corrigan, School of Art Fairfax
Jennifer Hamilton, University Libraries, Fairfax
Laura Harrison, Provost’s Office, Fairfax
Doug Hernandez, University Libraries, Prince William
Lindsey Lowenberg, Provost’s Office, Fairfax
Dean Naldrett, Freedom Aquatic & Fitness Center, Prince William
Stephanie Payton, Orientation, Family Programs & Services, Fairfax
Nicole Roth, History & Art History, Fairfax
Brett Say, Rehabilitation Science, College of Health & Human Services, Fairfax
Alfred Underwood, DoIT – Classroom & Lab Technologies, Arlington
And a fond farewell to:
Stephanie Barnett, Criminology, Law and Society, Fairfax
Christina Sanders, DoIT, Fairfax
Kevin Diffily, Volgenau School of Engineering, Fairfax
Jacqueline Inskeepm University Life, Prince William
Patrick Ledesma, Events Management, Arlington
Stacey Remick-Simkins, English, Fairfax
Paul Wieber, University Police, Fairfax
Congratulations to Kim Kalthoff for her work as the assistant director of fiscal and administrative operations in the College of Education and Human Development! Kim’s work is described as being akin to a “well-scripted play.”
Learn more about Kim at this Mason News article.
To learn more about Mason’s recognition programs, click here.
Regular Staff Senate meetings resume in September. We’re taking this time to meet our new senators and set the stage for the coming year. Look for us on the following dates:Wednesday, September 3 12:00 – 2:00 pm Fairfax: Innovation Hall 334 Arlington: Founders B119 Prince William: Bull Run 254 Wednesday, October 7 12:00 – 2:00 pm Fairfax: Research Hall 163 Arlington: Founders B119 Prince William: Bull Run 254 Wednesday, November 5 12:00 – 2:00 pm Fairfax: Research Hall 163 Arlington: Founders B119 Prince William: Bull Run 254 Wednesday, December 3 12:00 – 2:00 pm Locations: TBA
The Staff Senate is pleased to share it’s new logo! Designed for us by students in the School of Art, the idea behind the logos is the Staff Senate’s three initiatives–to advocate, appreciate, and educate staff–holding the Mason staff community together. Whenever you see this logo, know that the Staff Senate is working hard to serve your needs!
Glad they asked us! We know Mason is a great place to work, now so do all the Post readers! Read the Washington Post article here.